Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Contract type: National contract
- DRC is seeking the services of a committed and competent Communications Officer to join DRC’s Quality Assurance Unit. Interested persons will be reporting to the Quality Assurance Manager.
- The Communications Officer will work to increase local, national and international understanding of DRC’s work and role in Nigeria through high-quality communications products developed in line with DRC guidelines, donor commitments, protection principles and ethical standards.
The main duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Under the direction of the QAM, develop, implement, and monitor a communication and visibility plan to facilitate better understanding among partners, donors, beneficiaries and host communities, media, the general public, and government stakeholders of DRC Nigeria’s work and role;
- Update DRC Nigeria’s Communications Strategy on an annual basis;
- Write, edit and produce communication products promoting the contribution of DRC Nigeria to the crisis response;
- Undertake field visits to produce creative and engaging communications products to raise awareness of the crisis in northeast Nigeria and the humanitarian response efforts of DRC;
- Maintain and update DRC Nigeria country profile documents, fact sheets, and presentations for external audiences;
- Engage with NIF Communications Working Group and other relevant working groups and networks to ensure DRC representation and participation;
- Ensure timely publication and distribution of media content on the DRC Nigeria country webpage, DRC Nigeria Twitter account and HQ managed accounts;
- Ensure all DRC and donor visibility requirements and communications commitments are met;
- Provide training on communications and visibility to DRC Nigeria staff to improve contributions to communications initiatives and staff understanding of DRC and donor guidelines;
- Ensure there is appropriate age and gender awareness and considerations in all DRC Nigeria communications;
- Ensure all public multimedia materials have the necessary consent forms on file;
- Advise DRC Nigeria staff on media, public information, awareness raising and visibility issues in line with DRC and donor guidelines, protection principles and ethical standards;
- Contribute communications inputs to proposal development based on donor guidelines;
- In coordination with Supply Chain, maintain and update framework agreements related to visibility products;
- Provide support to QAM and SMT on media request and interview opportunities;
- In coordination with the QAM, liaise with DRC West Africa regional office and headquarters communications focal points as required; and,
- Perform other duties as assigned including support to other components of the Quality Assurance Unit.
N.B: The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- University degree in a relevant field such as English, Social Sciences, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or similar;
- Certification or equivalent professional experience in graphic design, web, social media and video production, or similar.
- At least 1 year of professional experience working in journalism or related field such as media / public relations
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills in English required
- Advanced skill in graphic design, web, social media and video production evidenced by a portfolio of communications products produced by the candidate;
- Demonstrated experience in training and coaching;
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively in a multi-cultural environment with competing priorities, tight deadlines, and in a complex emergency context; and,
- Ability to live and work in an insecure and high stress environment.
- Willingness to travel to other DRC bases in Nigeria
- Previous working experience with humanitarian agencies
- Experience working with displaced populations.
- Good understanding of the context in Northeast Nigeria
- Availability: ASAP
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Application Closing Date
7th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org . The position title must be written in the subject line of the email otherwise not considered.
Click here to apply online
Application Process and Notice
- All applicants must upload their CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “the Recruitment Manager”
- The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- DRC Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.