Twitter is an open service that’s home to a world of diverse people, perspectives, ideas, and information. Twitter’s mission is to serve the public conversation, and it’s essential – for the world and for Twitter – to increase the number of people who feel comfortable participating in it.
Twitter’s mission is to serve the public conversation, and it’s essential – for the world and for Twitter – to increase the number of people who feel comfortable participating in it.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Curation Deputy Lead (Desk Lead) – Editorial Curation
Location: Ghana (Remote)
Who We Are?
- Our Curation team is on a mission to better facilitate this through the curation of the best, most relevant, and timely content that reaches, engages and delights one of the largest daily audiences in the world.
- Twitter’s Curation team sits within its Consumer Product team, which works directly on developing the core Twitter product with our customers in mind.
Who You Are?
- The ideal candidate will have experience of content management or editing roles in journalism, publishing, content moderation or a similar industry. They will have a passion for working in a fast-paced, real-time news environment while maintaining quality and implementing processes and policies.
- The ideal candidate for this role should have a deep, non-partisan, understanding of Nigerian news and politics. They should feel comfortable fact-checking content related to politics, social justice, medical science or local news.
- You display an expert knowledge of media law and a strong understanding of Twitter’s role in the world as well as general knowledge across News, Sports and Entertainment verticals.
- While this role is primarily focused on English and English Pidgin content, working proficiency in one or more of the following languages is an advantage: Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.
What Will You Do?
- Twitter is looking for a highly-skilled Deputy Lead to manage daily content production across products including Twitter Moments and Trending Topics in Nigeria. This role is responsible for overseeing the output of a team focused on quickly, accurately and impartially summarising complex conversations that are unfolding in real-time on Twitter.
- This person will work as part of a global, high-performing team to provide 24/7 coverage and ensure the Curators’ work meets our high standards.
- This role is based in Accra, Ghana and focused on Nigeria. You may need to work weekends.
Success in this role is measured by:
- Delivering consistently high levels of quality assurance on curated content
- Ensuring curated content is delivered impartially and accurately
- Prioritizing the team’s work effectively under time pressure
- Overseeing all day-to-day curated content decisions and know when to escalate them
- Tracking success metrics and use data to inform and improve content decision-making
- Providing easy-to-understand, constructive feedback to aid team and individual development
- Giving feedback to internal Product and Tooling teams
- Encouraging knowledge sharing to prepare the team for covering the most impactful conversations
- Working collaboratively as part of a global team that works with internal partners
- Planning at least one month in advance for major upcoming regional events
- BA / BSc degree or equivalent experience
- Written and verbal fluency in English and English Pidgin; other West African languages are a plus
- Excellent written communication skills
- 5+ years of experience working in journalism, publishing, content moderation or similar
- Extensive experience of using Twitter, preferably as a tool in reporting
- Excellent understanding of the Nigerian political system
- Experience with news gathering tools like Tweetdeck, Dataminr for News, etc preferred but not required.
A few other things we value:
- Challenge – We work with Twitter’s product and standards teams to solve some of the industry’s hardest content problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and thrive as a curator.
- Diversity – Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
- Work-Life Balance – We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance.
Application Closing Date