Twitter is an open service that’s home to a world of diverse people, perspectives, ideas, and information. Twitter’s mission is to serve the public conversation, and it’s essential – for the world and for Twitter – to increase the number of people who feel comfortable participating in it.
Twitter’s mission is to serve the public conversation, and it’s essential – for the world and for Twitter – to increase the number of people who feel comfortable participating in it
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Curation Lead – Editorial Curation
Location: Ghana (Remote)
Who we are?
- Our Curation team is on a mission to better facilitate this through the curation of the best, most relevant, and timely content that reaches, engages and delights one of the largest daily audiences in the world.
- Twitter’s Curation team sits within its Consumer Product team, which works directly on developing the core Twitter product with our customers in mind.
Who you are?
- Twitter is looking for a passionate people manager to take on the role of Curation Lead for Nigeria. This person will manage a team that is focused on quickly, accurately and impartially summarising complex conversations that are unfolding in real-time on Twitter and important to users in Nigeria.
- The Lead for Nigeria will be responsible for overseeing the management of the team and driving key projects to ensure the team delivers on its goals and strategy.
- This role is located in Accra, Ghana and focused on Nigeria. You may need to work weekends.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in people and project management in journalism, content moderation or a similar industry. They will have a passion for growing and developing an ambitious, mission-driven group of individuals.
- The ideal candidate for this role should have a deep, non-partisan, understanding of Nigerian news and politics. They should feel comfortable fact-checking content related to politics, social justice, medical science or local news.
- They must be able to display an expert knowledge of media law and a strong understanding of Twitter’s role in the world as well as general knowledge across News, Sports and Entertainment verticals.
- While this role is primarily focused on English and English Pidgin content, working proficiency in one or more of the following languages is an advantage: Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.
Success in this role is measured by:
- Implementing Editorial Curation’s strategy for success on a market level
- Driving Curation’s involvement in cross-functional projects related to company priorities
- Building a positive, proactive and inclusive team culture that makes all Tweeps feel like their contribution matters
- Selecting, training and managing a team of Curators of varying levels of experience
- Ensuring the team has a well-rounded and diverse set of skills and knowledge
- Providing easy-to-understand, constructive feedback to help team and individual development
- Planning and optimizing the team’s schedules and working patterns
- Preparing at least six months in advance for major upcoming global events
- Identify new processes, tools and workflows to improve the effectiveness of team performance
- BA / BSc degree or equivalent experience
- Written and verbal fluency in English; other west African languages are a plus
- Excellent written communication skills
- 6-8+ years of experience working at management level in journalism, content moderation or similar
- Excellent understanding of the Nigerian political system
- Extensive experience of using Twitter, preferably as a tool in reporting
- Experience with news gathering tools like Tweetdeck, Dataminr for News, etc preferred but not required.
A few other things we value:
- Challenge – We work with Twitter’s product and standards teams to solve some of the industry’s hardest content problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and thrive as a curator.
- Diversity – Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
- Work-Life Balance – We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance.
Application Closing Date