Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Deputy Psychosocial Support (PSS) Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Start Date: ASAP
- Under the direct supervision of the Protection Coordinator, the Deputy PSS Coordinator will ensure the timely, accurate, and effective management and implementation of the PSS activities in Maiduguri and Monguno field offices.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Support and Monitor the Implementation of PSS Activities:
- S/he supports the PSS activities which includes regular field visits to health facilities and safe spaces to monitor the quality of care & services provided to beneficiaries
- S/he ensures, in collaboration with the PSS Teams, that technical interventions, tools and practices across the mission are harmonised and capitalised in relation to PUI tools and helps to update them in conjunction with the HQ MHPSS advisor
- S/he backs up the technical support from the MHPSS Team by responding to technical questions, analysing PSS strategy and identifying solutions to problems
- Follow up the performance indicators defined, report on progress to his/her immediate supervisor (Protection Coordinator), indicate difficulties encountered in PSS implementation, and propose improvements or reorganization.
Supervision of the PSS Teams:
- Conducts regular field and monitoring visits to health facilities, safe spaces and any other location where PSS activities are implemented to follow up activities and monitor performance of psychosocial workers (PSW) and provides on-the-job training (technical supervision)
- Attends supervision meetings and provide technical support and guidance to the PSS team
- Conducts appraisals after every six months for staff under his/her supervision
- S/he learns PUI’s institutional policies and internal processes, regarding the mission and ensures that they are understood and enforced within PSS teams
- Participates in the recruitment process of staff under his/her direct supervision
- Supports the staff under his/her direct supervision in the fulfilment of their duties by ensuring that agreed activities and procedures are regularly and timely performed by PSS team
- Solves team conflicts, if any occurs among the team
Capacity Building and Training:
- In collaboration with the Deputy PSS Project Managers, develops and implements a training plan based on training needs assessment and project objectives
- Provides technical and refresher PSS-training for PSWs and ensures training needs are met and performance is evaluated
Internal and External Liaison:
- Participates in external MHPSS Sector Coordination meetings
- S/he participates in preparing the mission strategy and in leading discussion workshops, develops recommendations/proposals for the MHPSS team, with the support of the HQ MHPSS Advisor
- S/he represents PUI to key national, local and international players (NGOs, health authorities and institutional stakeholders) and ensures good relationships and collaboration are maintained with each of them (ensuring compliance with PUI’s principles of neutrality and independence).
Reporting and Project Development:
- S/he is responsible for donor reporting
- S/he contributes to design project proposals for PSS-related activities
- S/he actively participates in the technical design of activities to be implemented as part of new projects, issues recommendations on the resources and timing needed for implementation, and identifies performance indicators
- S/he participates in drafting the mission’s annual strategy
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Follow closely with Deputy Project Managers to ensure proper implementation of the newly-developed MHPSS Framework
- Support Deputy Project Managers in staff training, including developing additional training materials in line with the MHPSS Intervention Framework
- Ensure MHPSS data tools (intake, FU and closure forms) are updated
- In consultation with the MHPSS HQ Advisor, S/he will develop PSS intervention guidelines for PSS Teams
Qualifications & Required Skills
- Fluent in local languages – Hausa, etc.
- Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Bachelor’s degree in psychiatry or psychology
- Previous experience in management of MHPSS activities
- Work experience with International Organizations and/or NGO in the field of MHPSS
- Previous experience in managing PSS teams
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of IASC MHPSS guidelines
- Good knowledge of integration of mental health and psycho-social support services in primary health care settings
- Good knowledge of Community Based PSS activities
- Knowledge of GBV interventions
- Ability to train, mentor, supervise and build capacity of psycho-social workers
- Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Accurate analytical skills
- Good team management skills
- Good reporting skills
- Good problem management skills
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Application Closing Date
30th April, 2021.