African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director – Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, PERN.0
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092420
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth (PEVP)’ is a Sector Complex focusing broadly on the Bank’s TYS and High 5 priority of “Light up and Power Africa”.
- The complex’s objectives are: (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) act as spokesperson for the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex focuses specifically on areas of Power Systems Development, Energy Financial Solutions, Policy and Regulation, Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, as well as Climate Change and Green Growth. The Complex also ensures that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversees the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s energy operations in collaboration with the Regional Business Delivery Units (RBDUs).
The Hiring Department
The Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Department (PERN) within the PEVP Complex is mandated to support the Bank’s RMCs to develop renewable energy, energy efficiency and clean cooking solutions as part of their energy systems, through a combination of public and private sector operations. Three Divisions namely Renewable Energy Division, Energy Efficiency and Clean Cooking Division and Renewable Energy Initiatives, are organized under the Department to:
- Function as a one-stop source / hub for renewables programs/projects (excluding IPPs at the project level/ regional power plants), energy efficiency and clean cooking
- Focus on “enabling market development” and hence place emphasis on developing new approaches / areas and play a lead role in establishing regional – or country-specific programs
- Mobilize concessional resources, especially under the aegis of Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) Special Fund, as the focus areas require significant blended finance. The Department is also responsible for the flagship Desert to Power initiative.
- The Director has overall responsibility for the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Directorate (PERN) and will have the mandate to support the Bank’s Regional Member Countries (RMCs), and African sub regions, to develop renewable energy (with a focus on decentralized energy solutions), energy efficiency and clean cooking as part of their energy systems – through a combination of public and private sector operations.
- The Director will supervise the Division Managers for Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency and Clean Cooking and Renewable Energy Initiatives in this role to (i) promote the development of renewable energy across the African continent and position the Bank as a knowledge and thought leader on renewable energy, (ii) promote energy efficiency along with clean cooking and (iii) implement various initiatives with RMCs, donors and other stakeholders.
- The Director will also be responsible for coordinating delivery of relevant flagship programmes – Desert to Power, the DESCO financing programme, Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa, the Green mini-grid market development programme and the Facility for Energy Inclusion, among others. The role entails substantial engagement with external partners in coordination with other departments of the Bank to mobilize climate funds and co-financing.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Vice President, Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth(PEVP), the Director, Renewable Energy and Energy efficiency (PERN) will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Supervise the Renewable Energy Division to promote the development of renewable energy across the African continent and position the Bank, not only as a knowledge and thought leader on renewable energy, but also as an efficient and innovative partner of RMCs and of the private sector in financing and implementing renewable projects in the decentralized energy space (notably mini-grids and solar home systems);
- Supervise the Energy Efficiency and Clean Cooking Division to promote energy efficiency along with clean cooking;
- S upervise the Energy Initiatives workstream to promote and implement various initiatives, such as the Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) with various stakeholders;
- Provide leadership in driving the implementation of the Desert to Power initiative including high-stakeholder engagement with countries and partners;
- Ensure that the divisions engage with regional Hub teams in the process of identification, preparation, implementation and monitoring of operations related to decentralized renewables, energy efficiency and clean cooking;
- Liaise with regional and country offices to develop and implement bankable pipeline in the areas covered by the department;
- Ensure that the Directorate provides support to RMCs in collaboration with the climate change department of the Bank to ensure the effective implementation of the renewable energy components of their NDCs;
- Ensure that the Directorate assists Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in setting enabling policy and regulatory environment (including the setting up of quality standards) for the development of renewable energy, off-grid / mini-grid access, energy efficiency and clean cooking solutions;
- Ensure that the Directorate provides technical advice to support distributed energy projects and increase access to finance through dedicated facilities, extension of guarantees;
- Ensure that the Directorate provides technical advice to support catalytic energy efficiency projects and increase access to finance for small scale energy efficiency projects;
- Ensure that the Directorate provides technical advice to support clean cooking-related investments including supply-side support to SMEs providing clean cooking solutions and promotion of clean cooking on the demand side;
- Liaise with the Energy Financial Solutions Department on regulatory matters and the structuring and financial analysis of complex / innovative projects;
- Help position the Bank as a knowledge and thought leader in relevant areas;
- Foster an environment that stimulates and rewards innovation, creativity and accountability for results, and motivate staff to deliver significant impact on the ground;
- Oversee the Facility for Energy Inclusion (off-grid and on-grid fund) managed by external fund managers;
- Oversee the Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) Special Fund and drive the implementation of its three components on green baseload, green mini-grids and energy efficiency;
- Lead resource mobilization efforts for flagship programs, such as SEFA and Desert to Power;
- Undertake any other task as the Vice President Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth may assign.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Renewable Energy, Engineering, Business Administration or related disciplines;
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of professional work in areas related to energy, some of which in Africa; five (5) years of which should have been in a managerial role and/or in supervising a team and coordinating work programs or projects;
- Deep exposure and understanding of the international agenda and geopolitics of renewable energy, climate change and green growth;
- Wide networks and experience with international institutions and agencies working on energy in Africa and globally;
- Deep knowledge of the development of renewable energy projects across Africa; candidates with exposure to decentralized RE solutions will be prioritized;
- Knowledge of energy efficiency issues and clean cooking solutions;
- Proven ability to mobilize resources at scale for projects and programs;
- Ability to communicate effectively and mobilize key actors to delivery (private sector, public sector and civil society);
- Proven ability to build multi-organization partnerships to manage complex objectives;
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external;
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with oversight bodies such as multi-national Boards of Executive Directors and Governors and other senior government officials;
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills aligned with the ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable policies and regulations;
- Experience in forging and managing relationships with a variety of stakeholders – local organizations, governments and financing institutions;
- Familiarity with the work of multilateral Development Finance Institutions;
- Proven ability to build and direct a high performing team to achieve visionary and challenging goals;
- Inspirational leader who can motivate others to execute quality outcomes in complex and challenging environments;
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide leadership to different team members;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
1st May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct via: [email protected]
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.