The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2021.036
Slot: 3 Openings
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall Supervision of Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) and direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO), the incumbent will be responsible for implementing finance activities as detailed below.
- In particular, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Verify invoices and documents submitted by suppliers and service providers. Post and review accounting transactions in SAP accounting system (both accounts payable and receivable, treasury), as requested by RMO and process payments through electronic banking systems
- Ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers.
- Review and ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers; verify invoices and ascertain that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received or provided before proceeding with payment request.
- Ensure all payments are paid on a timely manner.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly accounting reports and the attachment of supporting documents for the review and certification by RMO.
- Retrieve filed and archived documents when needed for audit or other queries within the set time frames and assist in preparation of responses to queries.
- Assist with the maintenance of an effective banking system including preparing a monthly bank reconciliation.
- Maintain a E-Filing system for vouchers and all other financial documentation
- Analyze the expenditure and alert RMO of the possible over/under spending on the projects.
- Assist RMO in period end process and prepare accounting returns for submission to MAS, ensure proper filing of SAP financial documents with proper supporting documents.
- Assist the RMO and Project Managers to produce both interim and final financial reports for the active projects and assist in carrying out financial analysis. In consultation with RMO, assist in preparation of response to the queries outside the mission (internal and external) within reasonable time frame.
- Assist in reviewing internal control systems and notify SRMO, and RMO of any potential weaknesses and suggest improvements and bring to the attention of RMO any financial an budgetary issue.
- Monitor and verify billing of staff for private use of IOM assets such as private vehicle usage, personal calls and ensure recording in PRISM.
- In coordination with the RMO, assist on the service fee-based projects to ensure prompt recording of service fees earned based on statistics provided by relevant units.
- Review on a regular basis Debtors/Creditors accounts, initiate follow up messages for outstanding cases and provide timely feedback to the RMO.
- Review travel expense claims and imprest accounts and verify authenticity of the supporting documents provided.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Five years of working experience with completed High / Secondary School Education or three years of working experience with Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or any other related field. Certification in CPA II or more will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of accounting systems (SAP advantage), generally accepted accounting principles and audit/review procedures.
- Ability to analyze and interpret source information and data; capable of designing, reviewing, and revising business processes to achieve efficiency.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, creative thinking, organized, accurate.
- Ability to work effectively with different levels within and outside the organization and with colleagues from varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to draft correspondence and communicate effectively.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications; knowledge of other IT packages and their implementation is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and French required, working knowledge of Portuguese an advantage.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
29th April, 2021.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.036 Finance Assistant, G5.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.