The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reference No.: req14091
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The Finance Officer report to the Senior Finance Manager in Abuja, He/she is the focal person for finance in Abuja and is responsible for preparing financial statements, maintaining cash controls.
- The Finance Officer must work within the Financial Manual of IRC, Tax Policies, and Procedures and in compliance with all National Acts and Legislation.
- Managing all aspects of day-to-day operations of accounting department in head office.
- Submit expenditure worksheets to the Senior Finance Manager on or before 2nd of every subsequent month
- Review all payment documents for proper and adequate back up.
- Review expenditure worksheets for accuracy and completeness.
- Liaison with Logistics, Administration and prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations completed but not captured in financial reports for accrual purposes.
- Preparer bank and cash reconciliations for the Abuja office by 2nd of every month.
- Liaison with head office bank on all banking issues.
- Ensure that statutory deductions are paid on time to avoid any penalty
- Forward to the payroll Administrator every month, an outstanding personnel advances and charges related to T7 for recovery. Ensure that advances taken in each month are liquidated appropriately.
- Participate in monthly close out as assigned
- Conduct a time sheet audit for head office from time to time.
- Maintain the Balance sheet file monthly and ensure follow up of unreconciled items
- Act as focal point for all New York payments, keeping track of all
- Serve as technical resource person for the accounting department.
- Involve in activities done daily in the Accounts department.
- Review all POs and PRs for proper coding and budget adequacy before approval.
Finance / Budgeting:
- Act always in accordance with local law and standards of accounting practice.
- Review with the objective of gaining a clear understanding budget guidelines and instructions
- Review funding allocations to enable proper guidance to programs and proper coding.
- Provide training to program staff on finance issues.
- Receptive to training provided and to develop his or her technical and professional competence.
Security / Communication:
- Communicate with Finance main office on security issues within the office and outside the office
- Report to the Finance Manager any irregularities that occur within the IRC office, staff compound and sites on policy and procedures.
- In coordination with supervisor, carry out appraisals for staff in the department.
- Attend and participate in trainings identified/organized by your supervisor
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Code of Conduct (in-country and World-wide) as per the IRC reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members
- Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of refugees by IRC and other humanitarian workers.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Senior Finance Manager
- Position directly supervises: Senior Finance Manager
Other Internal and / or external contacts:
- Internal: Works with other sectors on finance matters related to the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from recognized College/Institution. ACCA/CPA qualification will be preferred.
- Minimum of three years of accounting experience.
- Computer literate with significant experience in excel, accounting package. Knowledge in (SUN system) will be an added advantage.
- The candidate should be mature, with stable personality and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; tact, patience, diplomacy, and appropriate assertiveness.
- The staff will be positioned in Abuja.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti- Retaliation.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
- IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Application Closing Date