Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
- The post-holder will ensure that the programme’s Information Technology (IT) and Communications systems are optimised in support of overall organisational goals, represent best value for money and aligned with global standards and best practice.
Key Areas of Accountability
Strategy Planning and Capacity Building:
- Lead on the IT section during programme design and proposal writing. Provide leadership, training and mentoring in the development of Data Management Systems, mobile data collection tools, and other skills required for providing on time data analysis for measuring the progress and assessing the impact of programs.
- Develop data analysis templates, and dashboards at the program and country level.
- Ensure alignment of the IS&T strategy with the country strategic plans.
- Periodically (yearly at minimum) assess IT needs and advise management on impact on programme delivery.
- Examine project budget and provide reasonable costed allocation plan to senior management.
- Monthly report of IS&T Performance to Director of Operations and SMT.
- Ensure the IS&T unit’s Strategic Alignment, Value Delivery, Risk Management, Resource and Performance Management as per SCI set quality standards.
- Evaluate IT equipment and plan/recommend network extensions/up-grade for future needs, take initiatives to adapt economical solutions/services, best practices to save SCI resources.
- Maintain close contact with SCI Africa Regional Office, SCI Global Headquarters IT Management and provide regular updates on IT status, technology planning and monitoring.
- Effectively develop, communicate and interpret policies.
- Develop and roll out user training programs.
- Evaluate, implement and communicate technology requirements and support strategies.
- Supervise and Manage (Technically and/or Operationally) all IS&T staff across the program.
Telecommunications and Connectivity:
- Ensures functional VoIP and communication needs of all staff as applicable.
- Oversee installation of telecommunication facilities like the set up and use of, wireless networks, VSATs, telephone systems/mobile telecommunication units like BGANs and satellite phones.
- Act as the focal point for the in-country management of global communications services (i.e. VSAT and Portable Sat-comms).
- Ensure that the most stable, effective and efficient e-mail and Internet system is maintained at the supported office locations, including liaising with head office staff on all matters relating to Internet bandwidth management.
- Establish internet connectivity to all sites which complies with SCI global connectivity standards.
- Develop a legally compliant voice and data communications plan consisting of satellite, VHF radio, HF Radio and other technologies as required. The communications plan must also comply with SCI Global Safety / Security standards and comply with SCI technical standards.
- Oversee the efficient and safe deployment of communications technology.
Local Area Network (LAN) Management:
- Support and maintain the entire local area network installed at the supported office locations, including:
- Ensuring that physical arrangements/infrastructure of network system (including any servers where they exist) remain fully functional.
- Monitoring overall network performance and troubleshooting any issues.
- Coordinate the deployment of field technology (Wireless network, computers and other technologies).
- Design infrastructure for all offices which are saleable and complies with SCI technical standards.
- Design physical security into infrastructure plans.
- Enforce security and QoS policies across all networks.
- Promote centralized ICT peripheral services such as printing and scanning where applicable.
- Set up documentation of the network.
- Ensure that the country Programme is fully legally compliant for all its software licenses, maintaining accurate records and scheduling any appropriate renewals and additions.
- Proactively understand staff software needs and recommend purchase of software in line with organizational standards that will improve staff effectiveness or infrastructure with clear cost analysis.
Energy and Power Distribution:
- Ensure all power circuits are correctly grounded, in good repair and safe.
- Work with Admin unit and other team members to assess and design power provision for safe operation.
- Ensure that surge and lightning protection is used where needed.
- Maintain circuit documentation where applicable.
- Investigate and evaluate the best value and quality suppliers for all IT and communications equipment on an ongoing basis, in line with the global procurement policy. This will include preparing tenders, etc. where necessary.
- Recommend purchase of new and replacement/upgraded hardware that will improve staff effectiveness or office infrastructure with clear cost analysis.
- Work closely with senior management/budget holders to anticipate and appraise future IT-related purchasing needs.
- Promote the utilization of existing international framework agreements.
- Provide technical oversight to any local technology procurement, including attention to value for money, genuine products and compatibility.
- Liaise with the logistics and admin teams to ensure that all assets and GIK are tracked.
- Manage the business relationship and service agreements/contracts with any maintenance/service providers, etc., including continuous monitoring of performance and value for money.
- Overall responsibility of the IT Service desk ensuring adherence to SLAs and OLAs.
- Contribute to and/or coordinate the development of ITSM deliverables such as current state assessment reports, future state designs, requirements documents, IT process flows, operational procedures, training plans, etc.
- Promote a DIY (do-it-yourself) culture by ensuring appropriate IT support documentation is produced, updated and stored appropriately, so it can be easily referenced by staff and/or the IT department.
- Ensures the IS&T support needs of the county programme are adequately met.
Technology for Development (T4D):
- Develop and deliver trainings on T4D and Business Process Automation (BPA) initiatives for staff.
- Collaborate with the Business Development Unit and Operations in innovating T4D solutions to strengthen proposal development.
- Work with the Operations unit and Field staff in leveraging Technology to amplify program impact.
- Create awareness and enhance capacity within Nigeria Country Office on appropriate use of frontier Information Communication Technology (ICT) for development such as sensors, mobile money, blockchain, Internet of (good) Things, etc.
- Provide support in partnerships development with local and international solution providers, innovators, NGOs and organizations to create networks that nurture and test new and innovative ICTs.
- Provide technical and operational support to a wide range of stakeholders and partners on SCI policies, practices, standards and norms on technology for development.
- Ensure documentation and support monitoring, evaluation and Learning mechanisms for projects including baseline data collection, ongoing monitoring, as well as first phase data collection and analysis.
- Contribute and share to country-wide, regional and global digital development and technology innovation networks and activities.
Information Security / Data Privacy and Protection:
- Ensure compliance with data protection and security standards.
- Works with SCI Global and Regional Office IS security analysts to ensure the Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of organizational Assets.
- Lead, design and Coordinate Information Security Awareness initiatives across the country programme.
- Lead the Data Privacy / Protection initiatives at the Nigeria Country Office level.
- Advanced knowledge in security threat intelligence gathering from various security tools such as (Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Security Analytics).
- Assessing incident reports, developing and implementing crisis communication plans.
- Implements procedures and methods of auditing in preparation for external regulatory audits.
- Ensure that all technical support requirements are delivered in accordance with set and agreed time scales.
- Periodically reviews and operationalize the IT incident response plans.
- Conducts necessary risk assessments, Impact Assessments and design appropriate risk treatments/remediation plans.
Information Management and Backup:
- Promote the use of the Nigeria Country Office Intranet page and SCI standard document management systems (OneNet and other SCI standard applications) to all staff.
- Ensure that back-up processes are in place and that data is kept secure at all times.
- Develop, implement, document and communicate a suitable data backup schedule based on importance of key business data and applications (including servers where these exist) in line with organizational standards; also instruct users in how to perform individual data backups.
- Establish, maintain and document a comprehensive disaster recovery plan in discussion with senior management, including mitigation and recovery measures to minimize the risks and reduce the time offline in these circumstances, in line with organizational standards.
- Report any alleged or suspected misuse of IT systems/equipment, lapses of security and major violations of organizational standards to senior in-country management, and provide support as directed to any resulting investigation, such as obtaining evidence, suspending access privileges, etc.
Policies, Standards, Procedure and User Training:
- Develop and implement local policies/standards, procedures and initiatives in line with organizational baseline standards for information and IT asset security for overseas offices.
- Design an induction into general office IT and communications procedures and practices for staff members, including all new starters, in proper use of hardware such as the BGAN, software (e.g. MS Teams), etc.
- Assess user IT and communications training and education needs across the programme and design and deliver a comprehensive in-house training plan to meet requirements, including providing management with information on how these needs might best be met e.g. identifying suitable external opportunities for training.
- Monitoring local network statistics and identifying users who might need training in IT.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development:
- Supervise and manage IT staff; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
- Internal: All staff in country programme, Africa Region Business Solutions Manager, IT colleagues in other country programmes in the region, SCI Headquarters IS&T Team, SCI Data Protection Team, SCI Information Security Team.
- External: Suppliers of services and products (hardware, software, services, Internet service providers, telecommunications, etc.) as necessary. Other Save the Children Alliance colleagues as appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in any of Information Technology, Business Administration, Engineering or related program at a recognized educational institution.
- ITIL certification is a must (at least foundation level).
- Relevant certifications and trainings in Information Technology (i.e. Microsoft, Cisco, Fortigate, CompTIA, ISC, ISACA, etc.).
- At least 8 years experience across the different IS&T domains including Hardware, Software, Systems/Process, Information Security, IT Governance (Risk, Value, Strategy), Data Protection/Privacy and Service Management.
- Prior team lead, supervisory, or management experience preferred (NGO experience a plus).
- Able to liaise effectively with business owners / Program Managers (technical and non-technical) and other stakeholder groups (Internal and External)
- IS&T Budget development and cost allocation plan experience would be an asset.
- Ability to work independently to a high professional standard.
- Sensitive to the cultural & political environment.
- Prepared to work and live in challenging surroundings.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
- Good grasp and experience in core IT processes, such as asset management, change management etc.
- Understanding of quality and compliance metrics and KPI’s.
- Substantial experience in securing organisational ICT resources from internal and external threats in emergency environment and normal situation.
- Experience dealing with day-to-day technical support and administration of JIRA.
- Familiarity with data analytics tools would be considered an asset.
- Experience facilitating requests and tasks across technical teams, third party vendors and internal customers.
- Able to produce meaningful and accurate reports in tools like Excel, PowerBI, or other reporting suite.
- Must demonstrate knowledge in resolving and troubleshooting basic and common IT issues remotely.
- Willingness and ability to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies.
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to motivate and develop others.
- Must demonstrate knowledge in user administration, Microsoft Office suite support, Windows Client OS, Windows Server, MS SharePoint Experience (SharePoint list, Power Automate etc.), Power BI and data collection tools (ODK, Kobo, ONA, PowerApps) a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the configuration and administration of Microsoft Windows Server Operating Systems.
- Thorough understanding of networking fundamentals (DHCP, DNS, VLANs, TCP/IP, VPNs, WLANs, Firewalls, etc.).
- Basic knowledge of systems scripting and database skills (e.g. Windows PowerShell, Oracle PL SQL, MS SQL etc.) essential.
- Knowledge and experience in designing Management Information Systems and Field Technology.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience supporting Microsoft Office 365 preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Azure Cloud-hosting environments preferred.
- Experience with Systems Management applications related to Software and Patch distribution, managed AV, and email security preferred.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Level 3. The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people.