Trending: NASIMS Latest Portal Login 2021 for NPower Batch C enrolment | https://nasims.gov.ng/. The NASIMS Test Online Portal is now open for registration. Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse
Location: MSF OCA, Zamfara Secondary Health Care Project
Job Type: Nurse’s Pool – Daily Workers with possibility of Contract work as needs arise
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population and in accordance with MSF values and principles.
Description of the Responsibilities / Activities
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, nasims security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when nasims necessary
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
The following specific accountabilities are relevant to all nursing environments (inpatient, outpatient, therapeutic feeding program, IPD etc):
- Ensure the working environment is well organised with correct supplies and equipment available (for outreach activities ensure this is packed into the car in advance of departure)
- Observe IPC procedures: follow the 5 moments of Hand Hygiene and appropriate glove use; cleans and disinfects materials after each patient use; ensures the contaminated waste (including needles and other sharps) is separated and managed according to waste segregation protocols.
- Ensuring medical and nutritional care is properly delivered to the patients according to MSF protocols.
- Ensure all invasive procedures are completed following asceptic techniques.
- Ensures all patients have anthropometric measurements completed, and if appropriate, ensure the patient is registered for therapeutic feeding program.
- Collection and updating of patient admission and exit numbers in working area on every shift.
- Orientate patients and caretakers to the hospital environment including delivering health education, information about the patient’s condition, and discharge teaching.
- Identify children who are eligible for vaccination and refer as appropriate
- Ensure medication is stored and administered correctly according to guidelines (open vial policy, cold chain, Nursing Guideline etc).
- Monitors and records the consumption of medical materials, drugs and supplies, and participates in preparing the daily order in collaboration with nursing team supervisor.
- Ensure the resuscitation kit is prepared with all necessary stock
- Ensures no material is taken out of nursing areas without prior authorization
- Reports any problematic situations and problems that arise to nursing team supervisor.
- Participate in all trainings delivered to the department and make an ongoing effort to maintain and update medical knowledge and skills.
- Be flexible to cover the other nursing departments as the needs of the project require.
- Collaborate tactfully and professionally in the team environment with nurses, doctors, patients, caretakers, and all other team members.
- If supporting patient referral outside Anka, monitor the patient condition throughout the transportation, then hand over all information to the referral nurse. Also ensure to prepare equipment prior to departure and return it at the end of the referral.
The following specific accountabilities are relevant to therapeutic feeding program:
- In outreach sites : Carry out consultations of children by undertaking a complete clinical examination looking for associated pathologies, and arranging appropriate prescription according to MSF protocols (including referral for admission or emergency management).
- Ensure all TFC children undergo appetite testing according to protocol and all TFC specific paperwork, forms are used and completed correctly
- Provide required vaccinations.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for the role of Nurse – Pool applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma and valid practicing licence
- Desirable Bachelor in Science of Nursing
- Previous clinical experience
- Desirable 2 years of previous clinical experience in MSF or other NGO.
- Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and Hausa (verbal) is a must.
- Results and Quality Orientation L1
- Teamwork and Cooperation L1
- Behavioural Flexibility L1
- Commitment to MSF Principles L1
- Stress Management L2.
Application Closing Date
25th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Only complete applications will be considered. Only shortlisted applications will be contacted for the written exam and interview. Priority will be given to candidates from the local region.