International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Locations: Damboa & Maiduguri, Borno State.
Position: Nigerian Nationals only
- IMC has been implementing its curative and preventive nutrition intervention in 15 OTPs of Damboa, Jere, Konduga and MMC LGAs. The curative component targets children, 6-59 months with SAM. Community health volunteers screen and refer children with a MUAC <11.5cm or WHZ < -3 or those with grade + or ++ or edema to OTP sites for treatment. SAM cases are treated at the OTP using RUTF, deworming and Vitamin supplementation. Children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications or those <6 months are referred to stabilization centers. In addition, caregivers of children 6-59 months are trained on how to measure MUAC. If a caregiver identifies a child with SAM these are re-assessed by the CHV and if confirmed, the child is referred to the OTP. These children receive nutrition support through RUTF based on their weight, treated for infections using routine medication and screened and treated for malaria. The severely acutely malnourished who are 24-59 months are de-wormed. All severely acutely malnourished without edema receive routine vitamin A supplementation and zinc supplements for those that present with diarrhea, whilst those presenting with malnutrition and medical complications are to stabilization centers for specialized treatment.
- The incumbent will be responsible for the overall implementation of CMAM and IYCF in collaboration with other nutrition and SMOH staff and integration with other programs/He will facilitate good practice and ensure compliance to applicable implementation of national CMAM guidelines.**
- Plan and organize OTP at designated OTP sites in liaison with SMoH staff and nutrition officer.
- Supporting targeting of beneficiaries; formation and establishment of Care groups; selection of community volunteers and members of community structures.
- Work closely with care group promoters and lead mothers to ensure all aspects of the program are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the community to OTP sites.
- Take lead on the CMAM services at fixed and mobile outreach OTP sites.
- Work closely with the teams to ensure all children are screened correctly.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP/SC.
- Ensure comprehensive health checks and correct clinical diagnosis at the time of assessment according to the CMAM protocols so that the patient receives appropriate treatment in the relevant program.
- Ensure all children in OTP are immunized according to the national protocols.
- Ensure timely identification of complications, non-responders, and referrals to the SC.
- Ensure correctness, consistence and completeness of the information in the nutrition registers.
- Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics
- Through liaison with the community volunteers provide effective follow up of all cases: particularly tracing of children who are absent from the program, sick children, long stay children, children not gaining weight, and children with social problems… etc.
- Provide key health and nutrition education messages to beneficiaries based on the protocol and guidelines
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the OTP sites.
- Follow-up and ensure the field team interacts with the beneficiaries properly
- Provide a daily and weekly CMAM report to the nutrition officer.
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidate with a Degree in Nutrition and Health related Course from a recognized Nigerian Institution
- Over two (2) years’ experience in CMAM and IYCF program
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption letter
- Excellent report-writing skills is an additive
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of IMC’s aims, values and principles.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and utilization of the internet
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver IMC’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
Application Closing Date
27th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications, addressed to “The Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via the email: [email protected]
- International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this *recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the reporting email address provided at the end of this document. International Medical Corps’ Reporting email address: [email protected]**. *Please do not submit your CV or application to the reporting email address, it will not be considered for review.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Due to the urgent need of the position, applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.