African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Assistant, PIFD0
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001331
The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex’s main functions are to:
- Strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development,
- Support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and
- Place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department
- The primary role of the Financial Sector Development (FSD) Department is to help the Regional Member Countries (RMCs) increase the reach, depth, and breadth of their financial systems, while safeguarding financial stability.
- The Department has four long-term objectives: (i) development of vibrant financial systems through an inclusive access by households and enterprises to financial services; (ii) strengthening financial market participants; (iii) developing efficient capital markets, and (iv) deepening regional financial integration.
- Paired with other Industrialization, infrastructure and Private Sector complex departments, the FSD Department is responsible for implementing the Bank Group’s Financial Sector Development Policy and Strategy towards vibrant, innovative, robust and competitive financial systems, both national and regional, and in both the public and private sector levels of RMCs. FSD plays a transversal role across the Bank’s five strategic priorities, applying its financial deepening and access tool kit to the High Five (H5) agenda.
- Fundamentally, the scalability and policy momentum inherent in the H5 agenda create an important opportunity for expanded relevance of the FSD core skill-set: flexible financing instruments and delivery frameworks for financial inclusion, smart resource mobilization and capital markets development. FSD leverages partnerships to bring about greater developmental impact in financial sector development.
Under the supervision of the Director, Financial Sector Development, the Operations Assistant will contribute to the work unit by completing a variety of tasks assigned, covering all or a combination of the following functions:
- Provide support, facilitation, follow-up on transactional PIFD issues
- Assist the Task Manager and Divisions Manager in the execution /implementation of the work-plans in alignment with the business strategy of the department
- Support the Director and the Front Office staff in the preparation of planning and reporting documents, by drawing on information maintained on databases.
- Analyse supervision data, monitor disbursement status and arrange follow up and reporting actions, as well as monitoring project cancellations, write off procedures and adherence to write-off policies
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the department’s administrative budget, work programs, mission schedules and staff movements schedules, and participate in the identification of resource requirements and sources of funding.
- Provide budget analysis reports to the Complex Management Budget Coordinator and Director
- Prepare, and as needed, gather information and relevant documents for the supervisor regarding issues being discussed or processed by the Director.
- Proactively identify and resolve issues and raise it to the appropriate level in consultation with the Director;
- Collate, analyse and process inputs from divisions and the Bank Ecosystem to prepare the annual budget in accordance with Bank’s procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Devise and maintain efficient office systems;
- Track and follow-up with documents;
- Manage with incoming correspondence including email, faxes and general mail;
- Draft routine correspondence for review by Director.
- Organize and attend meetings, appointments, luncheons and events and ensure that relevant staff and management are well prepared;
- Participate in the preparation and monitoring of annual and mid-year budgets by collating and inputting data into the relevant internal software;
- Provide logistical support for staff meetings, trainings, and other events;
- Provide general back up support to other administrative team members during their absence;
- Manage department archives both physical and electronic, in compliance with the Bank processes and guidelines;
- Produce documents briefing papers, reports, spread sheets and presentations and assist with programming of operational activities.
- Manage systems, create and process expense reports in SAP;
- Assist departmental management in issues concerning resources such as the administrative budget, monitor and review expenses and bring issues to the attention of management;
- Participate in the preparation of the annual and mid-year budget review by collating and monitoring data;
- Support in the organization and coordination of meetings within the vice-presidency, across the Bank and with external clients and partners;
- Serve as an information resource on status of projects;
- Suggest ways to enhance work organization and effectiveness.
- Support in reviewing documentation to ensure compliance with Bank guidelines
- Prepare administrative dashboard for Management follow up
- Keep abreast of status and progress on Divisions/Department commitments vis-a-vis internal and external clients;
- Assist Management with internal and external auditors to carry out periodic audit reviews of internal controls on the data administrative portfolio and implement measure to strengthen internal controls where weaknesses are identified and ensure that agreed changes have been fully implemented
- Assist in preparing communication and presentation documents through drafting memos, spreadsheets, presentations and conduct first-level analyses on PIFD initiatives.
- Undertake ad hoc inquiries in standard and non-standard databases, retrieve, manipulate and present data and prepare presentation materials.
- Perform any other duties reasonably requested by management.
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Finance, Economics or other relevant fields.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the formulation and implementation of programs and projects, financial and economic analysis of infrastructure projects and programs;
- Communication and Intercultural Sensitivity
- Client Orientation
- Interpersonal skills
- Understand project documentation and advise staff on the internal procedures;
- Ability to insert inputs on Projects issue related to SAP PS;
- Ability to develop, analyse and monitor budget and reporting dashboard;
- Proactively identify and resolve issues and enquiries through clear interpretation of policies.
- Ensure that Task Managers expectations are met through timely responses and resolution of issues;
- High level MS office applications skills;
- Experience with SAP PS required;
- Experience in internal software such as BPPS, SRASS would be an advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
Application Closing Date
15th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct via: [email protected]
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required Degrees will be considered.
- The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications).
- In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts.
- The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.