Although there are many ways to lose weight, maintaining a healthy weight is often quite difficult.
The key to maintaining a healthy body weight for a long time is balance. Your body needs the right nutrients to function properly throughout the day. And the best way to get what you need is to enjoy nutrient-rich foods from different food groups.
Consider the following:
- Choose fruits and vegetables and cut down on added sugars and solid fats when buying food
- Increase your intake of whole grains that contain dietary fiber, which can help you feel fuller for longer. Swap white bread for wholemeal bread and choose brown rice, quinoa or millet at your next meal.
- Lean beef, poultry, seafood, beans, lentils and soy foods are excellent sources of protein, which helps repair muscle. Prefer baked meats instead of fried ones.
- Foods and drinks with added sugars and solid fats are a temptation for many, but it does not mean that you should stay away from them. What makes the difference is the portion size and the balance.
- If you crave something sweet, try eating a fruit first. Fruits have natural sugars that reduce the craving for sweets, but they also contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and dietary fiber. If you are looking for something savory, try a handful of nuts or a little avocado with whole grain crackers.
- Do you still crave this sweet? You do not need to be deprived of it, simply remember that moderation is the key.
Balance of food and physical activity
What you eat is only part of the energy balance equation. The other is physical activity.
Finding a healthy balance means incorporating physical activity into your life. For overall health, aim for 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity each day. Try adding 15 or 20 minute walks during your lunch break or finding a favorite hobby.